FRIO RIVER • CONCAN, TX
Frequently Asked Questions
- Check-in is after 4pm and check-out is before 11am.
- Guests will be charged the posted nightly rate, a $325 cleaning fee, and taxes. 50% is charged at the time of booking, and the balance is due 30 days before arrival. There will be a $1000 security deposit hold on your credit card 2 days before arrival.
- Cancellation policy: Guest receives 100% refund if cancellation occurs at least 30 days before arrival; Guest receives 50% refund if cancellation occurs between 7 and 29 days before arrival; No refunds within 7 days of arrival.
- See our Welcome Guide at bit.ly/WelcomeToHighball for a home guide, our favorite things to do in the area, and more.
- No smoking inside home.
- No parties, events, or commercial photography without written permission. Fees may apply.
- No pets allowed.
- All guests or visitors, including day guests, must be included on the reservation. No additional visitors are allowed on the property without written permission.
- No tampering with or covering security devices. For liability and security reasons, motion-activated security devices record video and audio in the exterior front, back/pool, and sides of the home. There are no cameras inside the home.
- The home is not baby-proofed, and because of the floating stairs, balconies, firepit, and pool, it is not suitable for children ages 2 and under.
- Follow all posted pool rules. Heating of the hot tub is included in the rental rate. Heating of the pool is an additional $150 per night.
- Guests must sign a rental agreement and send a copy of their ID before booking is finalized. Additional rules can be found in the rental agreement.
Do You Allow Events, Photo Shoots, Corporate Retreats, Family Reunions, Weddings, Commercial Videography, Rehearsal Dinners, Yoga Retreats, Etc?
The Highball is the perfect venue for your event or photo shoot. We love to host events/gatherings for up to 25 people. Contact us at 210-313-4972 or firstname.lastname@example.org for pricing and details. We can also recommend a photographer, catering services, bartenders, an event planner, and other services to help make your event extraordinary.
The Texas Hill Country is beautiful, but the hills affect phone service. AT&T has the best phone service in the area. Because your GPS/data service may not work in the hills, we highly recommend that before you come, you print out a copy of driving directions, the address, gate code, door access code, alarm code, and the host contact information. Once you arrive, you can use our Starlink satellite Wifi and connect to Wifi calling, or you can use your vacation as a chance to unplug/unwind.
The Highball sits on the top of a hill, which affords beautiful panoramic views of the Texas Hill Country. Cars can typically traverse the road leading up the hill with no problems. You will not be able to go up or down the hill in icy conditions. If possible, we recommend trying to arrive at the property during daylight hours to familiarize yourself with the route. If you arrive after dark, just drive slowly and be aware of your surroundings. For daredevils that want an amazing scenic drive, go over to Leakey to take a drive down Twisted Sisters—Texas’ windiest road with over 200 curves that twist through the hills.
We have some wonderful restaurants that we recommend in the welcome guide we send you after you book your trip. Because they are in small towns that see seasonal business, some are open year-round and others are only open seasonally or have unusual hours. Before trying to visit a local restaurant or business, we highly recommend calling first to make sure the restaurant is open.
Guests love our well-equipped chef’s kitchen. We recommend picking up groceries on your way to the property at the H-E-B in Hondo, Tx. In Concan, the Barn (convenience store across from the neighborhood entrance), Minits General Store, and B Happy General Store all carry alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, souvenirs, and a limited amount of groceries. The nearest place to pick up fresh produce, meat, and groceries is Leakey Mercantile in Leakey, Texas. There is also a Family Dollar in Leakey. The nearest H-E-B and Walmart are in Uvalde, Tx which is about 30 miles away.
If you would like to visit one of our beautiful local state parks, you can make a reservation online at https://texasstateparks.reserveamerica.com or by calling 512-389-8900. We recommend making a reservation for a Day Pass a few weeks (or months) ahead of time because if reservations are full you will not be able to visit the park. Garner State Park is 5 miles away and guests of all ages enjoy their nightly jukebox dances all summer. Lost Maples is 32 miles away and is especially stunning when the leaves change in the fall.
The Frio is less than 3 miles away from the Highball, and you are welcome to park on the private property owned by Speakeasy Resorts at 1905 CR350 if you would like to splash around in the river without doing a full tubing trip. If you would like to go tubing, call Josh’s Outfitters or Andy’s on the Frio. They rent tubes and you can make arrangements for them to transport your group to/from the river for a small fee.
No. No pets or emotional support animals are allowed on the property at any time. Allowing pets onto the property will result in a $500 fine and immediate termination of your booking without refund. If you want to board your pets nearby, the closest boarding facility is Pa’Paws Groom & Board in Sabinal.
The Highball is in a gated, private community with less than a dozen homes in the neighborhood. Guests are welcome to bring their fishing poles to the catch-and-release pond at the entrance of the neighborhood. You can also enjoy bird-watching, have a picnic, or walk down to the hiking trail (walk past our home and look for the hiking trail sign on the right). Be aware that there may be critters and bugs in the woods, so please stay away from local wildlife.
Concan is most popular in the summer because of the Frio River/tubing, but it is a great place to visit year-round. Visitors love seeing the trees change colors at Lost Maples in the fall, going hunting and enjoying the moderate temperatures and serenity of the outdoors in the winter, and hiking/bird-watching/fishing/golfing in the spring. You can also enjoy the hot tub, pool, and firepit on our property year-round. (Ask us about heating the pool!)
Yes. We try to provide an elite experience for our guest and provide towels, pool towels, a well-stocked kitchen and coffee bar, comfortable bedding and linens, and Public Goods shampoo/conditioner/body wash. We provide a starter supply of coffee, dish detergent, laundry detergent, paper plates, paper towels, plasticware, and other items. We also try to keep items on hand that you may want on your vacation, like board games, bluetooth speakers, bottle openers, basic spices, blow dryers, phone chargers, an air pump to air up any tubes or pool floats that you bring, an iron, sleep masks, alarm clocks, and much more. Please contact us with any questions or specific requests.
Ready to visit? Check availability now.